View Single Post
Old 2013-05-24, 09:55   Link #20
Beaver897

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper_oats View Post
The point was that Mikasa would never gave up again, no matter how grim the situation became. She'd do her absolute best to survive in honor of Eren's way of life and even if she did become titan chow, it wouldn't have been willingly. Everything else, like how long she would have lasted and if she could have defeated it, are just shounen-esque details; the realization itself was the take away.

Also, the coincidence of the rogue was probably just done for dramatic effect. Realistically, it would have made more sense to have her fight Mr. Smiley for a couple of minutes but that titan punch came out of nowhere, right after she solidified her determination and was ready to tangle. That super quick transition came as a huge surprise and in my opinion, was a better choice than a fight sequence.
Yes, we both agree on this part here. I don't know how the anime failed to send this message, though, because it was as clear as day to me. (Get it? With the Titan's head covering the sun and all after looking at the light, hehe)

So wasn't everything you wrote basically what the anime did? Mr. Smiley took a few swings at her, but she began to dodge it. It's part of our muscle reflexes. Just like how shellshocked veterans would respond to a hallucination of a grenade by ducking down rapidly during a warm, sunny day in the park. The punch still came out of nowhere because we were expecting her to be crushed by two Titans - one was bad enough, but two almost makes it impossible for you to live. And yes, she did solidify her emotions in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper_oats View Post
One last problem i had with the anime part, the weird flashing stuff that made it seem like her will to survive was somehow embedded deep within her oriental genes. Actually two problems. Firstly, it downplays her weakness and pushes her further into Mary Sue territory. I'm sorry anime version, but at that point, Mikasa really did give up on life.

It wasn't some "i only thought i wanted to die, but i guess i really don't, i'm too strong for that even though my world collapsed, sorry, just kidding" bullshit. Everything for her revolved around Eren and when he was eaten, she was clearly done. There was no doubt in my mind when i first read that scene in the manga that she would have suicided if the flashback didn't happen.

The second problem i have with the whole instinct garbage is that it also downplays the role that Eren had in saving her. The whole reason she decides to live again is due to his words, the memories she had of him in the past. It wasn't because her asian blood decided to activate and make her move on her own. I honestly don't mind her fighting. But it needed to happen after her recollection, not before it.
Bro, bro, bro, I think you're reading a bit too much with all this. The anime never concretely said anything that her survival was because of her genes or her being Oriental and all. I don't get why'd you think that. They're probably just thinking, "Oh, guys, let's just add some more scenes and more special effects to stretch the time." Meanwhile, we're here nitpicking and thinking that they went through 5 hours of meditation under the waterfall to bring out a certain feeling in that scene which didn't deliver.

I don't know how it downplays her weakness. Her weakness was her emotions, but her strength was her reflexes. Eren's death may have caused her weakness, but it just shows that Eren's influence on her and on her survivability will be more than anything her temporary emotions can bring her down to. You may not look at it this way, but Eren was the reason that she's this strong. It's because of his words to her, her influence to her that made her a perfect killing machine. So no, she really was suicidal during that time, but her emotions cannot overwhelm that part inside her where Eren resides in, not matter how blind she gets.
Beaver897 is offline   Reply With Quote