View Single Post
Old 2010-12-06, 14:37   Link #76
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
And really, it's because of this that I found myself not enjoying episodes after ep 5, or finding Kirino really insufferable. So yeah, I agree that thinking of it more as a comedy is perhaps more suitable for enjoying it, although I suspect we'll be having some more drama moments as well near the end of the season to act as a finale.
Well, drama will come back next episode. The chapter this episode is base on (Vol. 4, Ch. 1) is basically that - a side story around Ayase (and Kanako).

As for you comment about after episode 5...let see
Episode 6 - Story around Manami. Basically take Vol. 2 Ch. 2 and Vol. 3 Ch. 2 (Both Manami story) and put them together. It's good for anime continuity reason (Since Vol. 2 Ch. 2 is somewhat disconnected from the rest of story anyway). Since it's side story, normal that one would view it as a fillter...
Episode 7 - Kirino development episode (Vol. 3 Ch. 1/3). You can tell the discontinuity in the episode between part A (Ch. 1) and part B (Ch. 3). Even the director for Part A and Part B are different...
Episode 8 - Dark history for any novel reader XD
Episode 9 - Anime original, so filler is what it is.

Although, yeah, the whole Vol. 4 just seems weird anyway (even when I first read it). But then, it's b/c Fushimi tries to wrap up a part of the story by the end of the volume...

Do the original novel lack drama/development? Not really...Vol. 5 is full of it. Vol. 7 = as dramatic as it can get...but obviously, both of those would be after where the anime (TV version) end...

So, the question would be, couldn't they have thrown this episode to an earlier part so Kanako is seriously introduced earlier? Well, kind of, although they would have to take out all the stuff related to the party (next episode). I mean, they did that with the Manami stories (Vol. 2 Ch. 2 and Vol. 3 Ch. 2).

EDIT:
Quote:
That's not an excuse, and other animes have shown that they can work around this like Haruhi mentioned above.
Comparing it to Haruhi just doesn't work...Haruhi novel definitely have breakpoints (Not like the anime is complete for THAT either). Then, you can always have Index where the "ending" of Season 1 is not your typical ending...

The only thing bad about the anime (definitely)? The pacing is horrible...the drama parts are rushed while the comedy part (side stories) always get a full episode...

If any introductions are late, well, I guess AIC is expecting a second season...

Not like I completely disagree with you, though, there's a reason why I rate this episode a 9 instead of the normal 10. It is what it is - a presentation of material from the novel, nothing more, nothing less. Unessential to the story, not quite as funny as the original novel, and the development IS minimal other than this episode being the first that focused around Kanako...

The only disagreement is that I just don't see the point of rating an episode a 1 just b/c it don't have development. Sure, it's late in the anime, at least we don't have a recap don't we XD (Cough...Fukuda...) nor there would be anything that pops out of nowhere (Cough...Destiny Plan...). 2 episodes is more than enough to wrap things up anyway...

Last edited by ion475; 2010-12-06 at 14:51.