View Single Post
Old 2013-04-02, 18:13   Link #1539
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But the definition is broad. The example they gave and the fact Akane ended up being very moe (and not just because she was likable) leads me to think their idea of what moe is is warped. They were going for anti-fanservice/ecchi rather than anti-moe. The two can overlap but they're not the same thing at all. I'm sure you can agree Tamayura is a very moe show, yet it has none of that. Similarly, shows that have plenty of fanservice can have no moe characters.

Now, he did say that was an extreme example, so they probably put more thought into this. Still, that example was plain bad. He could have come up with something better.

Going back to Akane for a second, if they really wanted no moe in their show, casting the most moe seiyuu in the business for the role is a puzzling decision (they could have at least told her to use her less moe voice)

I get that they were trying to go against the trend of harem/cute girls doing cute things shows, and they succeeded. However, anti-moe is a strong term. They just made a non moe-oriented show.
Right. I largely agree with all of that, especially what I bolded. I think they used "anti-moe" as shorthand for that. Admittedly, it's not the most accurate way of putting it, but I get their meaning. And yes, I think they also wanted to get some 'good controversy' out of it.