View Single Post
Old 2009-06-20, 22:59   Link #17
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

When you think of the word "critic" in this context, which of the definitions above tends to spring to mind?

Criticism (Noun): the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work (from Oxford American Dictionary)

A critic is a person who gives criticism on any kind of work.

Based on that, do you consider yourself an "Anime Critic"?
Sort of, but most the time, no because I don't usually criticize anything unless the flaws are glaring which make the episode somewhat. I do give input in every episode I watch and give a rating for each episode base on various factors including the content, voice acting, animation, etc in a unbiased fashion which sometimes not possible.

When considering which shows to watch, what factors into your decision? Do you tend to watch shows you think you'll like, or will you watch anything that seems popular or technically interesting?
I only tend to watch shows >=8/10 rounded rating, but with new series that are currently airing, I usually watch 4-5 episodes before deciding to go on or drop a series from the 4-5 episodes I watched. I tend to watch shows that catch my attention or interests me, as long the said series have no excessive fanservice and ecchi.

When considering which shows to discuss on the forum, what factors into your decision? Do you tend to discuss shows you like, or do you tend to discuss any show where you feel you have an interesting/differing argument/perspective?
No influence, I only influence myself on what I watch and I only discuss the shows mainly on my blog after I watched all the episodes in my final review.

How do you decide when to drop shows? What factors into the decision? Does forum popularity/participation factor into your decision-making?
I only drop shows if the show have way too many flaws (such as too much fanservice/ecchi, animation, content being rehashed frequently, bad storyline, etc.) Forum popularity/participation does not factor in when I decide to drop a series or not

Which of these two problems seems more troublesome to you: that people feel unable to present contrary/opposing opinions and arguments, or that people feel unwelcome/uncomfortable posting in threads due to fear of having their personal preferences unfairly questioned?
I usually ignore these comments... but if it's bothering me, I usually write a intelligent, well thought out editorial post on the blog to rebuttal.