View Single Post
Old 2006-06-01, 07:20   Link #20
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
For all of my DVD, only Utena is relased by CPM and I am not pleased with their release even then. The quality is OK. The translation is off sometimes and most of time, it is just been cut or edited (censored?) too much. If the translation is not good enough, I don't care how much extra they pack in the DVD, not to mention the dub is poorer among most of the major anime dub distributors.
Cut? Censored? Are we talking about the same company?

How much of Utena do you own? There was a large gap in production after the first arc due to licensing issues, and the work on the following volumes was far superior to the previous work. Frankly, the Utena Movie DVD still stands out in my mind as a reference quality disc - Ikuhara-san, the original director, was flown in to personally oversee the translation and dubbing process, as well as to provide a newly-recorded commentary track. All this was in addition to a gorgeous video transfer (aside from a one-frame technical glitch that most people didn't notice) and providing the best audio available for the movie at the time (the R1 release predates the creation of the 5.1 remastered audio).

And any company with such a stellar release of Now And Then, Here And There (and Narutaru, though I haven't personally seen that one) can't -possibly- be faulted for censoring.