View Single Post
Old 2010-10-30, 02:05   Link #264
Abashi

This highlights one reason there is no acceptance for yuri among anime fans here:

If you been to California, you know that there are a lot of people that would be offended by that, and you'll know the double standard behind it also. Around here, anime people look at is limited to what is put on television and yaoi. There is nobody in this state besides me that explores anime outside those two categories. People here have a tendency to think that people should not discuss their unpopular interests on the internet and only focus on what is socially acceptable and fashionable to our society. However, almost everywhere else, people like to use the internet for creative purposes and to talk about subjects that aren't of interest to the mainstream populace. California culture has an obsession with not offending the mainstream populace, while elsewhere this isn't such an absolute limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
In my country, not a single YURI or YAOI anime have been shown on television, its probably because of the Moral issue involve.
They used to show it on Anime on Demand with Cox, but i don't think they do that anymore. It has been tried, but nobody here can accept it really. America and California are different cultures, and in America its okay to have unusual interests in private and among those whom you know, but in California there is no acceptance for that, besides are few accepted and tolerated groups (such as misogynists). In America, people accept you as you are if you are different and unusual, in California there isn't such a thing and it is not acceptable to be different from everybody else. California also has very extreme gender roles which are universal and incapable of getting around, while in America equality is embraced and perspectives about sex are more mixed and tolerant.

Last edited by Abashi; 2010-10-30 at 02:17.