Thread: Nintendo Wii U
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-09, 10:06   Link #458
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I said ignoring third party games. Call of Duty, Madden, and Skyrim are all on the PS3 as well, meaning those who bought the 360 could just as easily have bought the PS3, or if they were put on the WiiU could just as easily purchase that. From the sounds of it, Bioshock would be in the same boat.
It's not reasonable to discount multiplatform titles because they're one of the main selling points for buying a 360, and people's perception of the platform are largely crafted by those titles. It's doubly unreasonable because those titles are mostly going to disappear from the Wii U, if they ever were there to begin with.

Quote:
Using that logic, the 360's selling point is... Dance Central. As opposed to Nintendo's Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, etc etc.
The 360's current selling points are a good network infrastructure, a strong existing fan base for multiplayer games, good multiplatform titles, and a decent price point. What are the Wii U's selling points?

Quote:
This once again comes back to what Solace was saying before. The lack of third party support isn't because the fans aren't on the system, but because the third party developers don't develop for it. If they did, people would flock to it, because the console exclusives are better. The third party developers refusing to develop for it is what causes those fans to not look at Nintendo, not the other way around. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
I don't think that would be entirely fair. The third parties did try, but they haven't been rewarded by any success so far - Assassin's Creed, FIFA, NBA2K, Madden, Call of Duty all had poor sales. While you can make the argument that their efforts were half-assed, that's true of most console launches. The real test will be when Ubisoft releases all of their fall games simultaneously across PS360 & Wii U. I expect the Wii U versions to bomb, and that will be the end of that experiment.

Nintendo's big problem is that most Wii U buyers already had either a PS3 or 360. I don't know why they would expect these buyers to purchase multiplatform games on a Wii U instead.