View Single Post
Old 2012-11-08, 14:11   Link #62
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think that, nine times out of ten, this isn't actually about "not wanting criticism", but because of the tone of the person doing the criticising. Sometimes people have a bit of an "I'm here to tell you what the flaws in this show are; prove me wrong" attitude about things, and a lot of times it's just personal preference being passed off as a objective unarguable flaws. It's as though them not liking the show is itself proof that the show is "obviously bad". And this sort of attitude gets tiring; first you have to overcome the arrogance barrier and then see if they're actually willing to listen to any other points of view. Often, it just becomes an argument, rather than a discussion. Those people often turn around and say "See?! Fanboys don't want anyone to criticise their 'precious' flawed work!" and so become even more determined and even more presumptive, feeding this cycle of "us vs. them".

I think this whole thing could be solved if people would just use a more disarming tone and be more interested in having a conversation that leads to understanding than in just making their point and proving they're right. I think that fans of a work are among the most interested in having discussions about its content, but they don't necessarily want to be made to feel like they themselves are on trial for liking a work that someone else doesn't enjoy. And when you have people who seem, from their tone, to be only interested in putting fans on the defensive, it leads to question like the one that started this thread: "Why watch a show you don't like?"

So I find that some people often say "fans don't want to have their favourite show criticised", but I think it's more that nobody wants to feel like they themselves are being criticised for their subjective personal tastes. The difference between the two (and so the reactions you're going to get as a result) comes down to the way each person chooses to express themselves. Change the tone, and you'll probably change the reaction.
Well you can't just put the blame on the ones criticizing the show. Both parties are to be blamed for this "us vs them" war that more often than not hijacks the more popular shows threads. The most simple example is when someone rates something 7-8, giving proper reasoning for it, and you have fans of that show "flaming"(well I can't come up with a more milder word atm) the said poster for not giving a higher rating.
I agree that people who aren't interested in the show shouldn't waste their time watching it - unless of course you're a reviewer or blogger. But the way fans just decide to deny that their show can have/has flaws is just not healthy for any discussion just as much as mindless bashing isn't.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-11-08 at 14:28.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote