View Single Post
Old 2007-05-11, 01:10   Link #163
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm in the process of installing Kubuntu 7.04 to my girlfriend's computer. I mentioned my plan in here a few times I think, to have Kubuntu and WinXP partitions, with a separate WinXP instance accessible via VMWare in Kubuntu itself.

The original Windows XP partition is there as an emergency backup. My Linux knowledge isn't good enough that I can bail her out of a major system problem, and I don't want her to lose computing abilities. Given the IFS driver, she can pull data from Linux onto the Windows if need be. Question though: how do you unmount a Linux session in the event of a problem? At least, I think that's the question.

I had an issue in OpenSUSE where I had to hard reset. Instead of going back into OpenSUSE, I went straight to Windows. When I tried to access the Linux drive, I received an error. Some of the partitions weren't showing up, either. When I went back into Linux, and then back into Windows, the drives were fine and accessible. It occurred to me that this would be a potential flaw in my emergency plan. What causes that, and how would you go about fixing it?