View Single Post
Old 2013-01-06, 20:01   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I can only remember Happiness! which have a heroine who has a big brother, and that big brother is an idiot.
Ah, yeah, I forgot about that one. That's actually an interesting case because the brother doesn't play the "wingman" role (as was named earlier), but he's there mostly for plot purposes. And also to generally be hilariously over-serious about everything, including his sister. I think he and his sister are also twins, so that probably helps explain why they were added to the plot as a "pair".

But yeah, as has been pointed out by the examples, it's more common for the older brother of female characters to not really be focused on, and I tend to agree with felix's explanation: it's an extra layer of complication unless you're going to make it a focus, and a lot of stories already have enough going on to cover in their available time. (You might also ask why so many characters "don't have parents" (either literally, or they're just never shown) and that, too, is at least in large part because it can just get complicated quickly.)