View Single Post
Old 2011-04-23, 19:59   Link #7918
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
That overlooks the cold-blooded killer she was up until the end of season 1. Remember her introductory moment where she conquers the Middle East with a smirk on her face? Or the Saitama ghetto massacre? Or, heck, her willingness to abandon hostages (i. e. episode 8)? She never atoned nor repented for any of these. And while losing Euphie was a gut punch for her, other, more sympathetic characters didn't lose any less.
I acknowledged Cornelia was certainly responsible for "brutal conquests" and their consequences. That said, let's look at this from another angle.

If there was an inner monologue where Cornelia realized that Euphemia's death made her appreciate how little she used to care for human life and this later became her motivation for opposing Schneizel's genocidal plan or joining the resistance against a victorious Emperor Lelouch at the end of R2's story...would such a thing resolve the issue? If so, then the matter can be reduced to a lack of sufficient exposition. If not, then it's back to square one. I don't think I've seen even half of the people who protest about Ougi's getting off the hook complaining about Cornelia's fate.

As far as Britannian commanders go, she already had a sizable cult following during the first season despite never apologizing nor showing any remorse for her actions. Cornelia could be cruel but this didn't stop people from admiring her as a competent opponent to Lelouch. You could say she wasn't explicitly redeemed but, at the very least, there was an attempt to humanize her to a greater or lesser extent. If anything, she needed to play more of a role in R2, in order to develop her characterization further and satisfactorily address the concerns you've expressed. This would mean, of course, making the whole sequence of events less rushed.

Quote:
You have every right to argue that the ending needed to be a happy one, but it rang false to me. I don't appreciate being BSed.
That's your call. I'd say the actual ending was more than adequately bittersweet and less than a minute of the epilogue can be considered questionable or "too happy."
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote