View Single Post
Old 2006-08-25, 12:51   Link #27
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Tell me more about it?

I'm replaying some PS1 games, and I've put in 20 hours into BOF IV before, maybe about 5-6 years ago. When it first came out, anyways. I don't remember much of it.. is it good? Well, good enough to warrant a play? Recommendations?
Hmmmmn.... lets see.

-I like the combo system a lot (combining spells + skills + other combos to create more powerful attacks is always nice ) it just a shame that combinations sometimes fail.

-The story is pretty avarage as far as japanese RPG's are concerned. It would have been nice if you could play as Fou-lu a bit more. The ending is pretty bad and lame, IMHO.

-I hate the dragon system a lot. The one from BoF III was so much better; You only get one dragon form that gets different abilities depending on what "beast" you 'may' want to summon.

And I say "beast" because the game's definition of dragon is a little off. Worms, Whales, Knights, etc. If it's big, the characters refer to them as dragons. The summons animations are also among the worst I have ever since.

-The fishing mini-game is nowhere near as good as the one in 3. You can no longer see all the fish in the water and the ones you get to see all have the same shape(extremely based on luck this time around); Still fun to play though.

-I like the characters designs a lot, but I have heard many complains from other people in this regard. I am pretty sure you still remember them. By the way, Ursula reminds me of Chun-lee (Street Fighter)

At the end of the day, I'll say that BoF IV is an OK game that helps you kill time while you wait for the good ones to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I've played BOF V: Dragon Quarter, by the way. Thought it was a brilliant little gem.. but that's just me ; )
Me too. It's not just my favorite game in the series, but also one of the best RPG I have ever played.

Shame Ryu only has one dragon form though.