Thread: Licensed Tiger & Bunny (Sunrise)
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-11, 21:23   Link #117
tigertrap

this show has some good ideas but it is pretty unpolished and not very tight at all with its structure or narrative. i like the idea of how tiger got that kid to help him but, i dont know, it was very lazily done. unless i missed something they gave no indication that the giant statue was anywhere near the ice rink and it showed up in seconds to stop it from falling? and also, tigers power seemed to last much longer than 5 minutes, it lasted from mid-day to sundown.

the slow motion of the debris falling on kaede also i thought was really lame as was tigers reaction to it after the fact! he just drops his head and mumbles her name? he doesnt rush over there and do everything he can in the hopes that somehow she survived like a normal person? and i dont really see how bunny was able to save her in time unless he's got the ability to stop time lol. im sure he's quick but there is no way he was that quick.

and these are just some holes... but the feeling of the narrative felt off too, like it didnt really establish its emotional theme till midway when tiger has his little flashback and so the whole thing felt VERY quick. when we first hear the boy NEXT speak drop he drops his angsty melodrama on the heroes and within seconds is convinced he's wrong. im not faulting his angst, but rather how long they waited to show it. to me this needed to play out from the beginning to the end of the episode, not 3/4s of the way through to the end. tiger himself says near the midpoint "what does he even want?" it was a good question. im still not sure what he did want but to make a huge mess of things. what was his endgame really? i can kind of infer that he was able to make the statues move yet his subconscious was the thing that was controlling them and he couldnt stop them from doing what they were doing but if this is the case i feel like they really should have established this and use it as a chance to build some character and sympathy for the kid

other problems would be the characterization of bunny. the whole "if we dont arrest him, we dont get any points!" thing also felt very quick and flat. they tried to establish his character with a few lines of dialogue, but little action and so at that point when he threw that line out there, it felt very weak and unrealistic. bunny doesnt come off very cold

i do like some of their ideas and their heart is in the wrong place but this crew (from a story POV) seems so far not to be ready or experienced enough to handle this story yet.
tigertrap is offline   Reply With Quote