View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 04:19   Link #207
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
It's almost more unbelievable that both are anime originals which have their script/story/screenplay written by Mari Okada, who is of True Tears, Toradora and Wandering Son fame.
Ah, yes. It truly is a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Moe or not, I am very annoyed with how Menma constantly bothered Jinta and being hyper active throughout the episode. Is she back in her mature body but with a child mentality? Anyway, I will follow this until it gets too depressing for me.
The more astonishing question is she appears in an adult body. Saying she's "back in her mature body" sounds like you're saying she died at that age, but it contradicts what Episode 1 implies that happened: that she died the day "the tomorrow which never came," which Jinta regrets. I think you read that wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
You know, I am not sure whether they tried to hide it or not, that's why I am worried; if I was certain, I would be sarcastically bashing it, not having much appreciation for the studio
It looked more like they were hammering in the fact than anything else in the beginning.

1.) Jinta's surprised look when he noticed who he was talking to inside his room.
2.) He continually ignores Menma and think she's part of his imagination while preparing ramen and even refers to her as a "Summer Beast."
3.) When Jinta's Dad asks him to cook him some ramen too, Jinta stares behind his back at Menma in disbelief when his father doesn't notice her, yet Jinta still tries to ignore her and refrains from talking to her.
4.) Pellissier's second fact about her reflection although it's probably arguable.
5.) Jinta's Dad still hasn't noticed her at the dinner table when he and Jinta eat.

After the OP, Jinta acknowledges her presence and actually starts talking with her then, so I don't think they were hiding it anymore after that. It felt like AnoHana wanted the audience to sympathize with Menma more as we discover Naruko, Tsuruko, and Yukiatsu can't see her. And when Menma visits her house and ultimately confirms she is dead, the scene becomes a bit emotionally-laden as the realization comes to us as the audience as Menma herself acknowledges her death as well. I thought it was nicely done if that was their intention.

And because of that, I think there will be less of what people found annoying about Menma in the next episode. I wasn't bothered as much as everyone else with Menma this episode honestly.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote