View Single Post
Old 2010-06-16, 10:48   Link #11100
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Spoiler for Large post is large.:
I have to both agree with you, Oliver, on some points, but on others, I agree with Jan-Poo.
First of all, where it is obviously intentional, like a subway bombing, people are not going to call it an accident. However, in a case where clues indicating an intentional explosion are not apparent, such as a gas leak or the Rokkenjima Explosion, people usually go with the assumption that it is an accident. "An absence of proof does not indicate a proof of absence," yes, but in such a situation as the Rokkenjima Explosion, I doubt it would be even difficult, let alone easy, to find clues indicating a premeditated explosion. It would near impossible, especially if the explosion did originate deep underground.
But yes, it is very suspicious that in the entirety of Ange's back-story, we did not even get a definite confirmation of an explosion. All we got was a sob-story, an idea of how magic in Umineko works, and confusing hints like how Eva apparently died in a similar way to Kinzo.
I have an idea to why Ange's memory feels incomplete, though I'm not sure how it might help. Think about it. Since Meta-Battler is the main narrator, it's reasonable to think that all narration, even the narration of characters which are not him (with the exception of a few Meta-Beatrice narrations) are just him narrating what Beato is narrating to him via the gameboard's story.
But if this is true, how do we get Ange's narration, which doesn't take place on any gameboard? I think it's Battler, once again, narrating a narration which is give to him. As Ange was being turned into hamburger meat at the end of Episode 4, Battler says that all her memories, the struggles she went through after no one came back from the conference, flowed into him. So once again, he is receiving a narration, and all Ryuukishi is doing is having that narration shown to us at various moments throughout the Episode.
However, like how Beato can modify the narration she gives Battler through the gameboard, isn't it possible for someone to modify Ange's narration that Battler receives. My immediate suspicions place this on Bern, but it seems out of character, at the time, for her.

On the bomb, I've got a feeling that it's set up before the gameboard begins. Why? Because it always happens. In my opinion, things that are set up or happen before the gameboard begins are constants (such as Shannon breaking the island's mirror, or Kinzo's death), but things that happen during the game are variables, and are liable to change, as they do in each Episode. Note that the game is in play for forty-eight hours, from midnight on the fourth to midnight on the sixth.
If I'm right, that means the culprit is either someone on the island, or has an accomplice who is regularly on the island. Which isn't much of a problem, since most people theorize that some number of the servants/Nanjo are accomplices to the mastermind.
But yes, Beatrice must be the once who triggers the explosion. After all, in Episode 4, Beatrice is the one who kills Battler. So she must be the one who can trigger the bomb.
However, both Jessica and Shannon, who seem to be the only characters left that can be Beatrice, rarely ever survive until endgame, which means if Beatrice is the one who triggers the explosion, it must be done at an earlier point. My reasoning indicates a timed explosion, set to detonate unless the Epitaph is solved, but this is incredibly clichéd, so I'm reluctant to decide on it.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote