View Single Post
Old 2004-04-22, 16:43   Link #89
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I think it's a bit different, actually. Anime such as Macross and Gundam are really more like a whole genre. For instance, if someone doesn't like the whole giant-robot type of anime, couldn't he just say he doesn't like Gundam and be done with it? Then again, SOMEONE is bound to make a stink about him saying that too, completely oblivious to other people's anime preferences.

Well, you'd be wrong to think that way as it's very possible to like some giant robot anime, and dislike others. Me personally, I dislike most Gundam. I think UC Gundam is Gundam at it's best, but I'll still take shows like Macross over it for various reasons. I can't stand Gundam Wing, it's one of the few shows I have an active dislike for. Then there's shows like Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Tetsujin 28, Giant Robo, Patlabor, and many others, with a variety of different styles and flavours.

In fact, unless you're in the minority that will like any giant robot anime simply because it has a giant robot in it, you're bound not to like a good many of the giant robot shows out there.

Now, I tend to see threads like this as a great concept (often executed poorly) for introducing people to new anime. Of course, just listing anime doesn't help for that. I could go to the animesuki frontpage and it will do that for me. However, if you know what you like, and someone describes a show that sounds like something you'd like, you can go check it out with a reasonably educated guess that you will like it. Even with this thread's specific theme, if someone describes why they dislike a show, someone might see that and go, "Wait, I like all that stuff in my anime, maybe I'll like this show!" Or, as in 'What anime is your mostest favourite?!?!' threads, pass on those shows that don't seem to be their cup of tea.

However, if I am wrong and these threads really are just for listing J-random anime, then call a moderator over here quick, they'll be wanting to lock this thread and any others like it, because they themselves will tell you that they don't like pointless threads popping up.