View Single Post
Old 2012-04-21, 13:41   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
So my question to you is what was your first memory of anime, what was the first manga/anime that introduced you to the japanese animation phenomenon tht we on this forum all clearly love.
I don't think there's any one moment where I suddenly gained an interest. Rather it seemed to have happened in stages.

If we're talking purely about the first anime that we watched per se then my guess would have to be Samurai Pizza Cats. I was only 6 or 7 at the time though so I didn't even know it was an anime. I held it in the same regard as any other cartoon that I watched. That's why I said "My guess". Because it's possible that I watched an anime before then and didn't even realise. But Samurai Pizza cats is the likeliest.

The first anime that I watched, that I knew was an anime would be Pokemon. But although I knew it was anime I didn't really understand the concept of an anime then. I still liked it though and i henceforth started to watch all the other "Mon" anime that would often air on channels like Cartoon Network.

The first anime that I watched that I'd put on my MAL without feeling like an idiot would have to be Zoids. I was watching this at the same time as all the other "Mon" series but I considered this different from the rest because of its dark post-apocalyptic war setting that I had simply never seen before. Even then though i was still content to watch "Mon" series and never branched out (I was about 10 at the time) but it certainly piqued my interest in darker storylines. Plus I was watching Dragonball Z

A few years later I was randomly flicking through the channels when I stumbled across a show called Wolf's Rain. I watched an episode of it and I thought it was pretty deep, but it was completely overshadowed with what aired next which was Fullmetal Alchemist. I know it's episode 14 that I first watched because I still remember exactly what happened, and man I really loved it. Fullmetal Alchemist was the first anime that I actually decided to look up on the internet so I could watch it all (The channel that aired it went down) and it's still one of my all time favourites. After exposing myself to anime on the internet I was suddenly seeing a lot more clips of anime on youtube that piqued my interest, so my interest in anime exploded at that point. I started watching all the anime I'd see on youtube clips, that interested me (usually the mainstream ones).

Last edited by Haak; 2012-04-21 at 13:52.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote