View Single Post
Old 2011-12-26, 02:31   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

An interesting topic, and it's even more interesting to learn that some people here do actually take pen-and-paper notes while playing games. I have always thought that I'm the only person who does that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
In general, I don't like to read FAQs to figure out things in my games.

I am always making notes about the things I play, often so I can use them on a second playthrough. I have several notebooks, all filled with passwords, quick maps, puzzles and riddles solutions, etc, etc.

Been doing this since forever and even now I still take notes whenever I feel I may forget about something.
I go even further than that. I've been writing entire journals of my gameplay experience since the early days of strategy games like Koei's venerable Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition. It wasn't until recently that I became consciously aware that I was actually writing stories based on what my characters/avatars/in-game personae do. In a way, I'm writing fan-fiction on the fly.

Like Vexx, it's my way of becoming totally immersed in a game. Particularly for computer role-playing games, it can be a very lengthy process of me first trying to imagine who my character is — his or her back story, the motivations that drive him or her in the game world, what he or she wants to achieve — before I even begin to play the game. I once told a friend that I see RPGs as a form of player-driven storytelling, not unlike the Choose Your Own Adventure storybooks of the 1980s that have long since gone out of fashion.

She chided I was probably the only person who approaches games in that fashion. I believed her, and so decided that it's not worth bringing up this little obsession in public, because no one would really understand. Or worse, some may even find it creepy or weird.

Spoiler for an example of my character-creation process:

And it is an obsession that sometimes makes the gaming much more of a chore than it needs to be. And I almost never go back to these notes once I'm done with the game, which makes the process seem even more pointless.

Yet, when all is finally done and dusted, I'm left with the sheaf of notes that is the evidence of my having experienced the game and not just played it. I may not refer to it ever again, but it pleases me that a character I had envisioned and "lived through" for a while continues to exist in some physical form, independent of my memories and imagination.

That, to me, is what makes a role-playing experience complete. I don't know if I could play such games differently, even if I tried.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote