View Single Post
Old 2012-04-24, 21:02   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Hushmail is pretty good, but they will compromise your privacy in various ways if told to do so by the government, so they are only slightly better than the rest.
If an FBI agent shows up with a warrant, what should the provider do? More importantly, why do you think your mail is so fraught with legal implications that this is even an issue? If you're engaged in activities that are likely to lead to Federal prosecution, you shouldn't be doing it on any public mail system. Nor would I be worrying about the privacy of your email in this case.

The only reasonably private solution is to run your own mail server. All my mail is on a machine in my office and has been for years.

Using a POP3 account is somewhat more private than IMAP, though a less convenient solution. With a POP account your mail is downloaded off the provider's server onto your computer and, unless you specify otherwise, deleted. There will be server logs, of course, with information about senders and recipients, but the actual messages will no longer be present, although there may be backup copies somewhere.

If you're truly concerned about email privacy, use public-key encryption.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote