View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 14:05   Link #84
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...So having a lame student movie with a displeasing ending (based on a scenario that the students voted against) is Ok?
Never said that was "okay" per se. This is not an either/or approach to things. Irisu shows considerable intelligence in the eps (I think to that all will agree, at least).

Quote:
And you think it's better to be totally heartless?

So you think it's better to be like, say, Kyubey or Lex Luthor than to be like Irisu?

Wow, Flower, I'm genuinely surprised by what you're saying here.

And I also completely disagree with you on it.

It's the truly heartless people that are the most dangerous, because you can't appeal to them emotionally or persuade them to feel empathy or sympathy for the people that they hurt. You can't change them. You'd have an easier time getting through to Irisu than you would getting through to Kyubey or Lex Luthor.
Have you ever met and interacted and been directly "burned" by a truly heartless person? I have not. They are rarer than hen's teeth. The only real life ones I can think of were accounts of certain people inflicting torture in some Communist prisons (prisons in Romania in particular - I knew a person who had the misfortune to be subjected to incredibly horrible physical, psychological and systematic personality-breakdown methods over the course of months) - such things could to my mind only be labelled as "demonic" in the sense that they were something that could only be conceived and developed by a being with an intellect that was not human.

But I have met and interacted with a fair number of people (to varying degrees of inflicting pain, damage and what not) who have outright malformed, crippled and even driven to insanity and suicide by others who excused, "looked the other way", or justified, etc. their actions largely because it was "in the name of a good cause". I myself have been directly affected like this too.

The examples you gave of utterly ruthless characters were fictional - i.e. Kyuubey and Lex Luther. The references I was referring to were based on my own experiences.

I have never met a real life example (i.e. first hand xp) of a Kyuubey, but I have been told directly by another who experienced it (i.e. direct second hand xp) that there are extremely rare RL examples of such people - who incidentally often either end their lives in insanity or suicide themselves or do a complete 180 and head in the opposite direction).

I have met half a dozen people (first hand knowledge and xp) who inflicted horrible damage on others of varying sorts - and every single one felt that they were doing the right thing.

Hope this makes things a little clearer why I would say the things I did. And again, credit goes to the writers/presenters of Hyouka for being able to so accurately display a person like this. Irisu is not a "demon", by any means. She is very human. Neither is she totally and completely "bad". But what she did to Oreki was wrong. Period. Plain and simple. There is no getting around that. And to my mind she did so because she felt that the desired end result was needed and necessary for other purposes. That in of itself is understandable, of course. But does that make what she did "right" in any way? In my opinion it does not.

Ah well. It's fine if you don't see eye to eye with me on this though Triple R. Sometimes people just don't see certain things the same way.