View Single Post
Old 2011-09-20, 17:52   Link #37
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Earthsea made more money ah...

Though I figure that had more to do with the targeted audience of Earthsea being of a more general variety compared to Kokuriko-Zaka Kara, which is more geared towards a much older crowd.

Still, credit given where it's due. Congrats to Miyazaki Jr. for making a critically acclaimed movie, and stepping up considerably after his last film. Still,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Still, yup, the results do help to validate Goro Miyazaki's abilities.
I wonder. I'm not trying to damp down on Goro's skill, considering that he made Earthsea while being a near-complete novice (judging from his blog, the film could've been much worse ...) and then made an effort afterwards to learn more about the craft and create a better movie ... this is still a movie made with the guiding hand of Miyazaki Sr. How much of the movie was it ''Goro's learning from his past mistakes'' and how much ''with the blessings of Hayao''?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
But he was helped by a good script, which featured a strong element of nostalgia that appeals to a domestic audience, particularly older Japanese. Sooner or later, Ghibli will have to grow out of such stories. What then, I wonder?
Fade into obscurity?

This is sort of what worries me right now. Sometimes I wonder if Ghibli can really make a critically accepted film without the help of Hayao Miyazaki, or one that doesn't really on nostalgia.

EDIT:

Quote:
He tries to kick the other party to the bottom of a ravine, even in the case of his own son
Miyazaki Sr. capitalizing on all the credit and talent confirmed? Ghibli is DOOOOOOOMED!!