View Single Post
Old 2013-03-06, 22:19   Link #90
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Is it really? How many people decide to try a game because the cover art or the in-game art looks promising enough to warrant giving it a go? Not to mention Mashiro's art is above average, so I doubt any company intent on scoring some extra money would pass up the opportunity of getting such an artist on their payroll, even if it meant playing with the feelings of an aspiring, even if ultimately irrelevant, game designer.
If they wanted Mashiro so badly they should have gone with Sorata's design. The odds aren't good for them to recruit the artist after shutting down the friend she supplied the art for. At best that letter was a throw into the dark. Was unlikely to work, but it was worth a shot. Not going with Sorata's design, but nothing wrong with taking a chance to see if Mashiro would bite.

I don't buy that this was anything other than that. Might a company mess with someone like Sorata to try and secure a Mashiro? Sure, but doing it this way wouldn't work. It doesn't increase their odds to carry this on and then send a letter after cutting ties. If they wanted to secure Mashiro, they get her the letter before the meeting under the pretense of doing designs for a few games including Sorata's if it passes. But cutting him off and then sending a letter is a near futile effort of a company trying to salvage something out of it. Go with the safe rhythm game and losing the artist is a win/loss. If the unlikely occurs and the artist takes up the job despite Sorata getting shut down it's win/win.

I really don't see a conspiracy here.