View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 08:30   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Satoru was always a brash little boy but I never saw him as truly violent or mean-spirited – just a typical genki kid with too much energy and a streak of braggadocio. In short, I think what happened this week wasn’t some character flaw in Satoru – any one of the children would have reacted to the taste of blood the way he did. And there’s no question that the feeling of power he got from killing all those Ground Spiders have him a major rush (who knows, maybe sexual frustration made it even worse). So was giving a cantus to a PK with no choice but to use it in self-defense really a good idea? Though, to be fair, it’s not as though Saki had much of a choice either.

That’s the essence of the matter for me – the pure thrill a PK gets from slaughtering Muggles is exactly what those scientists spent all those centuries trying to bury so deep that it would never again see the light of day, and now that it has I’m not sure the genie can be put back in the bottle. I still don’t know exactly what Queerats are – though I’m certain their connection to humans is very direct – but I don’t think it matters much to the PK doing the killing.