View Single Post
Old 2008-02-25, 03:18   Link #22
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I knew exactly what you were referring to, but I thought I just wanted to make that quick point about the ending. The ending was what swayed me, but it unfortunately did not sway others. I never thought that the ending was whether Haruhi or Mitsubishi won, but for me, it was Akagi reading Haruhi's story and winning mahjong championships, and of course, Mitsubishi crying, Teriyaki smiling at the book, and Shinichirō with his girlfriend.

*scrolls up to remind himself what the original discussion was*

Oh yes, we were discussing the ending, not the ending. I still find it similar to School Days' ending though. Although KgNE's ending wasn't central to the story (as you and I agreed above), I still think it was the point that swayed people on whether or not they liked it or not, because of the betrayal themes and childhood promises and whatnot. It's kinda interesting how Akagi reads a story in both the ending and the ending, which is really cool now that I think about it.

Oh and of course I gave School Days a 6/10, which is above average, a good score for my scale.

Who needs spoiler tags, right?
I almost went the extra mile and called him Shinichiro as well, but I decided that Akagi and Taiyaki (Teriyaki's fine, too.) were enough.
And if Akagi was able to go on to be win at mahjong, why didn't Shinichiro become an artist/mangaka/whatever he was (it's been a while since it was brought up in True Tears, and I don't feel like looking up any other Shinichiro's at the moment)

Since we're onto a new page, and the discussion is about finished, I'll decide to leave it at that and say that Minami Kuribayashi and I share the same birthday (June 11). All riight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
Added...

Strawberry Panic: Yes, its a shoujo-ai anime but what bugs me is this anime get too many demerits that it didn't deserved. Yeah, I know lots of girls hate it because it has lesbian love stories but how about guys who hates gay love stories? It is a fair game, right? Yes, the girls have unhealthy interests on gays and so guys worked on the opposite way too. Most people also claimed this anime is a Maria-sama ga Miteru clone but I disagree. People who hates it are generally not shoujo-ai/yuri fan.

Kannazuki no Miko: Another shoujo-ai anime that people seems to hate it, including some shoujo-ai fans. I really don't know what went wrong this time but almost all anime reviews I knew seems to hate it too. Maybe those who hates KnM are either did not care what Chikane feels or hate shoujo-ai/yuri in general.
Ah, guys generally dislike gay stories more often than girls dislike lesbians because it's manly to hate gays, since a manly man does not like other men, since they may be more manly than you, so yeah, I'm talking nonsense.
Oh, I also seem to have misread your statement as well, so I guess everything I've typed up to this point has been utter crap. Oh well, I guess I'll leave it there for entertainment.
It works that way for most things, too. For example, if I wasn't a fan of anime about killer loli girls, I would generally dislike Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Elfen Lied, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, and Fullmetal Alchemist.
Generally, not everyone approves of these same-sex love shenanigans, since love only exists between a man and a woman or a man and football, amirite?

I also thought Strawberry Panic! wasn't very similar to Maria-sama ga Miteru; sure, there are catholic schoolgirls in love, but doesn't that make Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru the same as well? (Except that Yui Horie is a guy in a dress.) Strawberry Panic! focused more on romance and characters' relationships, while Marimite was more of day-to-day life involving drama at times and Lucky Star fodder.

Having not seen Kannazuki no Miko, I can't comment, but I've heard that it's the "spiritual descendent" of Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito, which was a good series and is apparently very popular among yurifans. Seeing excerpts and such give me a good feeling about the series, though.