View Single Post
Old 2009-10-10, 08:02   Link #71
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Actually, the reactions sort of continue the trend from Index of people apparently mistaking the show's genre. With Index people seemed to be expected an romantic action drama (like Shana), but what they got instead was a preachy sci-fi (which I still say is a perfectly acceptable genre on its own, it's just not what people expected). And now, people built up expectations for themselves like "finally, we'll be getting an action series without the preachiness!", and instead the director said that the show would focus on the friendship between the girls. In all cases I think the show will have its fans, but for some reason the English-speaking audience seems to have a real time categorizing this franchise in their minds, or fitting it into the Japanese directors's visions for the respective shows.
Now that's not fair to say. A lot of us here have read the manga, so we do know what Railgun is about. And this wasn't it. This episode's fanservice and Kuroko-mania were pretty exagerrated over what the manga gives us, nor does the manga have such random stuff as the first half of this episode. (at least the pool cleaning scene was accurate though) It's not like the anime is intended to give us something totally different from the manga, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
It's fine focusing on the friendship between the girls... but the formula of:

Onee-sama!!!
*glomp*
*SHOCK*
Generic friend character A says something
Generic friend character B responds

Can get old pretty fast. I'd like a little more substance than that...
The manga definitely has more substance than this, which is why I still have my hopes up. I'm guessing this was just a "hey we need to fill in some time so let's do some random stuff" episode. Doesn't make it less pointless, though. It also doesn't make sense for this to be a "keep things cool just before the storm hits" episode because there's plenty of that in the manga before we get into the meat of the first arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
The anime creators decided to put a filler-ish episode so early in the series (episode 2!); I wouldn't mind it if it were e.g. the 7th episode as a cool down episode/pause after a serious/important arc.
Fittingly enough for your statement, the pool cleaning scene was a cooldown chapter in the manga after a major fight. Which makes it all the more pointless to have now, really.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2009-10-10 at 08:15.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote