Old 2007-03-07, 16:04   Link #280
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neohybrid_kai View Post
I have a question,
I watched bikasuishin version of this anime
can someone explain to me about the book that Takaki and Akari read?
the one about halucigenia or something?
is that a novel?

also, what's the meaning of "read 4 billion years' worth"?
I'm not a native english speaker, I have never heard that phrase before
thank you ^^ sorry for suddenly barging in and asking question.
They're discussing the Cambrian Period, i.e. prehistoric times. I assume Akari has been reading a book about the earth's ancient history. "4 billion years" is probably a reference to the age of the Earth, my assumption was that she is saying she has read 4 billion years of history in one evening.

The Cambrian Period was actually 500 million years ago though. I’ve been told that Anomalcalis, Halucigenia and Opabinia are animals of that era, though I've not heard such names before, the only life form I know of from that era are the trilobites. Akari makes a model of the Halucigenia with her chips, I thought it looked like a scorpion. I wonder if the names are translated correctly bearing in mind that this is Japanese translated into English by a French guy.

edit: I just found this page about the Hallucigenia et al, with a picture of it which is indeed similar to Akari's potato construction. And the Opabinia does indeed have five eyes! Jeez, these kids are well educated! Or is it our English speaking schooling systems that have been hopelessly dumbed down that we don't know about these things?

Last edited by Samatarou; 2007-03-07 at 16:17.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote