View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 06:58   Link #29163
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post

Then I'd really like you to tell me how a mystery novel works according to you. What are the rules that something has to obey to be a mystery novel? And I'd really like you to give me your own definition...

Let's go then into what I've been talking about the whole time then. The ending. Think about it. Say you're reading a mystery novel or you follow a mystery manga series like Detective Conan. Say you've been following the case the entire way, and you've finally made it to the reveal. There's only one truth so you can either be right in your deduction or completely wrong in your deduction, but even if you're wrong it's a learning experience. You look back and you begin to notice the subtle things you missed the first time that would have given you that conclusion in the first place. So whether you're right or wrong it's exciting to see how far your own theories have come that once you've found out the one truth a person will be satisfied. I've never seen anyone get pissed because they were completely wrong at solving a mystery novel.

Now say you're as I said following the case the entire way. You make it to the big reveal. Your blood is pumping because this is it! Finally you're going to see what really happened and see how far you've come through your intense analysis of the story. There can only be one truth after all. So you turn the page... and the reveal is missing. Not only that it switches to the ending where the characters talk about how they couldn't believe it was this or that person or how this or that happen. Except they don't mention any names or actions or even places. Then the author comes out and says that the one truth does exist but expects you to find it. Except you can't because there's no telling what the one truth was because there's nothing definite or conclusive that could lead you to the same thought process of the author since the author made damn sure to keep the supposed one truth so far hidden that its practically impossible to get there.

You're probably gonna say that like Ryukishi wanted you could be harpy with the truth you thought up, but then that's just being delusional since if you just believe what you want to believe you won't push the author give up that one truth because not everyone is satisfied believing in their own conclusion. They want concrete answers so that the story as well as the mystery makes sense. Plus with telling people there is one truth and then telling people that the one truth isn't important all thats important is what you believe in. How does that not sound like a cop out?

In every mystery novel. Even if the one truth is subtle there is still always a concrete answer to everything that happened. Umineko does not have that. All it does is raise questions and not answer anything in regards to the real events surrounding Rokkenjima. It just comes off as downright lazy writing. A mystery isn't interesting at all if you can just believe whatever you want.
Aethos is offline   Reply With Quote