View Single Post
Old 2007-03-23, 12:31   Link #66
rg4619

Quote:
i was kinda surprised about the comments : even doing your best in rational choice, he can jeopardize the pace and flirting with the opposite girl while you were expecting to stick with the first one. sad indeed.
From what I hear, School Days isn't about rational or irrational choices at all. Rather, seemingly inconsequential decisions made at Point A (i.e. as seemingly inconsequential as turning left or right where a corridor forks) will eventually lead to promiscuous behavior at Point B. This design purposely forces the player into being unfaithful, regardless of his original intentions. Consequently, the likelihood of reaching a bad ending is disproportionately high.

At any rate, I suppose that this is the main gimmick of School Days, with the violent endings being just icing on the cake. The protagonist is intentionally unlikable/thoroughly amoral, and you're supposed to get a thrill from seeing him destroy the girls' lives (depicted through the ensuing melodrama) through no choice of your own. Given the story premise, design, and violent endings, I'd say that School Days is primarily intended to be a sadistic romp (although simultaneously compelling via the drama), whereas KGNE takes itself more seriously as a soap opera featuring hapless, yet well-intentioned and potentially redeemable characters.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote