View Single Post
Old 2007-04-28, 10:33   Link #51
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the encode, really. They'll be using DVD-9 formatted, disks, almost guaranteed. That means they'll have 8.5GB odd to play with. The audio will probably come in either LPCM, or as 192kbps AC3 (being only two channel... maybe 224?). I'll presume AC3 for the sake of size benefit here - being laround 50MB per audio track, for stereo sound. Depending on extras (say, around a gigabyte for them + the menus), there's still around 7GB of data per disk just for the video, which is more than sufficient for 75 minutes of high quality MPEG-2. Looking at a bitrate over 8mbps for the video, at any rate - in fact, using DVD-9 would be wasting a couple of gig of space with AC3/MPEG2 combined here, as the maximum DVD data rate is less than 10mbps, if I'm remembering correctly. ^^

[edit] actually, now that I think about it, that couple of gig might not be wasted - if they release Air in Summer as *part* of the four disks, and not additional. That way the pattern could be 4,4,4,3 for the releases - first three disks with eps 1-12 of Air, and the final disk with ep 13 and Air in Summer. Which would rock ^^ [/edit]
Oops...I didn't even think about dual-layer DVDs when I wrote that. Thanks for providing such a good analysis! Now, on to worrying about whether they'll handle it properly, and whether or not they can possibly sell enough copies to make Kanon and Clannad worthwhile acquisitions in the future...
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote