View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 11:54   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'd actually say that Hatsukoi Limited proved that the "collection of short stories" approach works - but that it tends to work better if you have multiple male characters instead of using a harem approach.

Omnibus also makes the main lead feel too unfocused and perhaps inconsiderate when combined with disappearing character syndrome. Kanon 2006 is a great show, but it wasn't a good romance for the most part just because there's too much plot dragging and the final romance feels tacked on. In fact, I just feel Key adaptations tend to be better about drama, friends, and family rather than romance due to the necessity of having to water down many of the relationships to platonic. This is not a bad thing, but it just shows the sheer difficulty of getting it right even with the best efforts.

Ah, I'd forgotten about Hatsukoi. You just made me realize what leaves me feeling odd about Amagami. Basically each arc in Amagami has re-invented the protagonist's personality from the outset rather than creating a new protagonist as Hatsukoi did. I'd have been more impressed with Amagami if they'd started with really the same personality and had him evolve differently as he interacts with the girl of the story.