View Single Post
Old 2008-05-04, 17:28   Link #232
anime_cat

EDIT: Episode was excellent, I want to see if putting Nunally in charge will backfire on them, she seems to have all her memories intact...dealing with Suzaku is next however...so I hope that is prompt and brutal.

A response to Suzaku -

Suzaku is bluntly put a small minded individual. While he strives to free Japan from within the Empire he thinks nothing of the rest of the world. The desire of Lulu to bring about a free Japan is only a small part in ending the power of the entire Empire.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not think Suzaku has changed. Ultimately he seems to be a coward, and I will provide examples to support this. Suzaku shot and killed his father in the original invasion. This can be seen as a cowardly act in that Suzaku killed his father to make the overwhelming monster of Britania go away. Despite the positive outcome of this (Lulu eventually gaining Geass, etc), it still must be seen as a cowardly act.

In turning in Lulu to the emperor, Suzaku once again demonstrates his belief that the monster must be fed for people to be safe. If Lulu had been allowed to use his Geass, Japan would have been freed and the world as well. Suzaku could not see past his need to satisfy the beast, and passed up the greatest opportunity possible. Instead of learning the truth from Lulu, he binds himself further to the Empire out of fear and of course hate.

In the end I see Suzaku as a character from a myth who would sacrifice young virgins to the monster even as a hero stands to end the sacrifices forever. Also he ignores the world, contenting himself with freeing Japan. His nobility in attempting to free Japan is crushed by his unwillingness to ever fight the monster, only to feed it or pass it off as a problem for other places.
anime_cat is offline   Reply With Quote