View Single Post
Old 2011-12-15, 21:52   Link #1
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

the state of voice acting as an occupation

This topic may have been discussed before on this board, but I wanted to see what people might say in light of this 4ch discussion. (Yeah, I know, but they sometimes make some good points on there; at least on /a/.)

http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/58417749

I would have to imagine that most seiyuus love what they do, and if they don't like the job, they should probably reevaluate their lives.

However, I think we've talked about how voice acting alone doesn't pay that well, even in Japan, and this is why so many start out as idol singers or branch out into music. Of course, that can often remove the "privacy" of a seiyuu's private life and lead to a backlash with the more unhinged fans, as we recently saw with Ayana Taketatsu and Aki Toyosaki. Unfortunately, one could say crazy yandere fans have become an "occupational hazard" for voice acting in Japan. Even the guys aren't safe, as proved by Mamoru Miyano when he got married. (Yes, all celebrities unfortunately have stalkers, but with fabulously wealthy movie stars and athletes, one could say it's just part of the price they pay, but of course most seiyuus don't have 100-acre villas in Malibu or fleets of Learjets.)

So in light of all this, if you were Japanese (I know we all aspire to that here, but I'm trying to be rhetorical), would you want to become a seiyuu? Would you approve of your son or daughter becoming one?
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote