View Single Post
Old 2009-09-11, 17:00   Link #50
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post
She essentially admitted as much as the "wise wolf" facade being precisely that. I think she may actually be gunning for some kind of direct proposal -- especially with her offer of willingness to be there for him for the rest of his life. It seems impetuous, I agree. Maybe she expected to have been further progressed with him by the time they reach Yoitsu. Her behavior overall seems a bit bipolar. Is there ever any discussion in the series about why she usually stays in the Inns when Lawrence goes out?
Are you referring to this line in the Mazui subs?

"In the end, the reason I advise you like I know the world's secrets is for my own sake"

She does call herself a wise wolf again shortly after that. I don't think she was saying her wisdom was a facade at all. She was telling him in that speech that she's been selfish, and to consider her advice "selfish" as well. She wants him to rely more on his own faculties like he used to, and that it was his turn to be selfish. She also told him she wasn't "sacrificing" herself like she did when the Medioh henchmen were after her.

I still find her behavior in that first scene stunning. She attacked him for falling in love with her and doing things the way she wanted him to do them. That's not a good sign, but I don't think she's bipolar - just afraid of his love and what it could do to him (and their relationship).

I am still not sure what happened in their last conversation. Did Lawrence finally "beat her" in their verbal sparring? She looked pretty.. stunned, I think? I took that part of the conversation to be either about her being stunned that he's come this far, but couldn't make out whether she was worried about it or happy about it.

Her "I'll take care of you line" was touching, yes, but I think it was her gently reminding him one last time to act like he did when they first met. It's quite possible she has something planned and is relying on his to act that way, and she's worried he's no longer capable of it. Which means she has possibly lost her faith in him this time.

The problem is that this isn't an innocent situation like Kumerson where they have an obvious "easy out". Horo isn't in complete control of it this time. Maybe she is overcompensating for what she sees as a lack of confidence on his part? If that's the case, she might have seriously screwed up this time. Lawrence shows no real signs of being less confident, just being more intelligent and strategic. If anything, his confidence as a merchant seems to have gone *up* since they first met.

Well, now I'm starting to ramble and confuse myself.. I think it's time to stop typing