Thread: Graphic cards
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-07, 03:13   Link #87
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

PCI-E 16X slots are used for parts that require a very high bandwidth connection: graphics cards and controllers for very high end storage setups (the ones with like 8 drives and a 600mb/s transfer rate). So unless you're planning to run a second video card I don't see a lot of use for a second PCI-E 16 slot.

(The only possible exception I see here is if you want PhysX while still running an ATI board. Although nVidia doesn't allow it in their drivers, by using hacked drivers you can actually use a cheap nVidia card (like a GT 220) as a dedicated PhysX board while still rendering on an ATI board. But if you're that intent on having PhysX support you should probably consider getting an nVidia card in the first place.)

I take it the $675 configuration is the base level Ultra 7500 with a 700 watt PSU and HD 5750? If so, I feel obliged to point out that any 700 watt unit being sold for $65 less than a Corsair 650 watt is probably a generic and almost certainly not built to the same standard as something from a well respected brand. And if you upgrade to said Corsair, then you're not really saving anything from what I can tell.

I don't think you're going to save anything going through cyberpower without shaving some corners. I'd mainly base the choice on whether to go with them on whether you feel comfortable building a PC or not. Do you know about proper anti-static handling and such?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote