View Single Post
Old 2011-05-05, 23:22   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ever since I suspected he was "Menma" I've felt more sorry for Yukiatsu than angry at him. But here's a question - does the fact that he was smelling his own dress make him less creepy, or more?

I agree with Garfield that proving Menma's existence is not the point. The question of just what Menma is still hangs over things, of course - though it seems obvious she's still an odd mix of little girl ("Let's pee together!") and teenager mentally and emotionally. But I think that question probably isn't the right one to be asking, as I don't think it's really going to be the point of the series. It's the impact she has on the others that really matters - not least, to Menma herself.

I think there were a couple of reasons Tsuruko "outed" Yukiatsu. Most obviously because she's holding a candle for him and this was a sort of intervention. But I also think for all her stern exterior she's a genuinely caring person. She likes Jinta and feels real sympathy for him, and she could see that for him the Menma-ghost thing was very real - and didn't like seeing Yukiatsu making a mockery of his feelings, be they illusory or not.