View Single Post
Old 2009-05-06, 19:32   Link #132
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Aye, but I speak the truth. There are no squad-level support machine guns in the game. Those few that appear are stationary turrets. The closest thing to a modern machine gun in the game are the weapons carried by shock troopers, although they carry sub-machine guns (but the game would rather name them machine guns).

The actual portable machine gun that appears in the game? Well, it was used like how Rambo would use his.
Le sigh. Machine guns are as dangerous as they are because 1) they have stable bipod and perferably tripod mounts and 2) they are crew by multiple soldiers, thereby spreading the responsibility of killing the enemy. It's things like this that don't make me regret not buying the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
So basically Gallia is just caught in between war The Eastern Empire and Atlantic Federation? bummer, now I really want Gallia too win.
Not really, but you are supposed to feel sorry for the Gallians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I beg to differ
We're talking about World War II-esque tanks that can be heard several kilometers away, so they'd easily give their position away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Uhm. a Regiment is bigger than a bataillon and a bataillon already has a troop strength of 800 to 1200 soldiers. And a squad can have more than one tank.
Here is an example on how a Tank Bataillon on German standard is lined up: http://www.pzbtl293.de/gliederung.html
Sure, but there's a difference between a paper strength and an actual strength just as there is between the numbers of combat personnel and all personnel in a military unit. An actual regimental strength of 500 combatants is eminently reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Why not? The backbone of the German army is are the NCOs. Leading a Squad is the first step in the career of an officer which they have to pass to claim higher rank. It's a position where they have to learn and to earn the respect of their soldiers.
It's mostly a difference between the amount of training a junior officer needs versus how many a military organization can be expected to field. Even in a military where the NCOs are the most important role (which is just about all militaries), it becomes extremely inefficient to have too great an officer to enlisted ratio, especially in combat infantry formations. That's why green lieutenants are generally assigned to platoons, where they can be babysat by the senior NCO until they get some seasoning - you can't do that at the squad level because you're not going to have enough good senior NCOs to go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
For several reasons. Some believe that the modern SDF ranks have been Yankeefied to a point that it is unsuitable for something like Valkyria, moreover, older terms are applied precisely because they were outdated, since they were last prominently used from the era of the big one.

Others believe that the SDF is just that, a self-defense-force, which is not applicable to the work of fiction where armies are often not restricted by some clause such as article 9.
I'm really talking more of anime in general, but there's nothing intrinsic in the SDF ranks that restrict them to a self-defense role, so I imagine that there would have to be some other sort of dynamic at play. The reaction against perceived Yankification seems to be a much more plausible explanation.