View Single Post
Old 2011-12-28, 23:59   Link #545
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Fishmeister, you need to learn how to give C&C. While the technical portion of your critique is fine, using words like "horrible" and "ruined" is completely uncalled for. It's not that your critique was strong, but your tone throughout the entire thing was belittling. You may have been trying to help, but pointing out all the negatives and none of the positives, is counter-productive because they may either feel their self-esteem breaking under criticism, or they may feel that all criticism is negative. This can destroy the intent of constructive criticism. The only way to approach this is by being truly constructive, kind and helpful, and realizing that not all people are going to appreciate what you might have to say. Another thing is that you don't offer anything solutions to anything you pointed out. How about giving some advice on not making the tags "boring"? Or offering links to helpful tutorials that you've used?

And yes, I realize that you were trying to help, and anyone on a gfx forum would appreciate what you had to say (besides the demeaning stuff), but AS is not a gfx site, and neither is the FC subforum. The site and subforum are anime and manga-oriented. So it's best if, in the future, you figure out who your audience is before deciding on the severity of the criticism.

Lastly, there is no "right" way to judge art. Art is completely subjective; what you may find unattractive, others may find breathtaking. So please don't try to state your opinions as fact. Not every tag can be judged using the same old system--some of the best works I've seen have broken a lot of the composition rules you're talking about because those taggers dared to experiment and think outside the box (in case you were wondering, I frequent gfx sites too).

If you wish to continue to discuss this, feel free to PM me.