View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 20:35   Link #2728
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm trying hard not to take offense at comments like this. Apparently sexism and racism are unacceptable notions, but not ageism?

At 63, I don't consider myself "outdated" at all. I'm more technologically savvy than 90%+ of Americans, and I pay close attention to political and social trends on a daily basis. I even watch anime, for goodness sake.

I suppose when I was in my twenties I might have had thoughts similar to yours, though at the time I had academic colleagues in their fifties and sixties who were still sharp-minded and intriguing. I do have some negative opinions about modern culture, particularly its emphasis on greed and violence, but those opinions are not a result of my age so much as my experience. The world of contemporary popular culture, particularly the culture that is expressed in mainstream Hollywood movies, is a narrow and impoverished one indeed.
But the problem is for Japan that maintaining that level of respect for the elders so highly is one big reason, whether we like it or not, behind Japan's stagnation at several levels and we know stagnation is a very very bad thing for any country.

I'm just saying that going at such extreme of the spectrum is not very helpful for Japan. As long as no one stands up to say F.U. to the old farts who are taking down any country with them instead of accepting more forms of change, I can only see a not-so-good prospect about a future for this country.

In any discipline, the only way to move forward is to cut short anyone or anything living on borrowed time. It might not apply to you specifically, but this applies to a number of other people who are taking away the spotlight from the ones who'd come up with new ideas adapted to the current reality.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote