View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 15:35   Link #4824
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Actually, I stopped reading the genre due to this and KNIM. I was there in the beginning, though, so I would check in every now and then to see how it went. I haven't even touched Seo's new work Half & Half and in Sasuga puts out another manga, I won't go near that either.

As far as I'm concerned, the shounen romance drama genre is dead to me.

And even though they've always been cliche, it doesn't mean you always have to accept that they will be cliche. Just because something has been predictable in the past, doesn't mean you have to accept that same garbage in the future. Otherwise, nothing ever changes or evolves and you get stuck with the same old shit year in and year out. Just look at the Call of Duty franchise.
The problem here is that you scream for an innovative story but you don't want to see that no one can reinvent the wheel. Everything is cliche because there doesn't exist anything that was not there before.
Cliches are everywhere and there is nothing that can change that. It's just the execution of the chliches and how they are used which make a story good or ridiculous.
The story from Call of duty is just as much cliche-ridden like the story from Mario or any other game.

When I read shounen romance dramas with the fokus on drama. I know eactly what to expect. Soap Opera alarm.
When I read shounen romance comedies with the fokus on comedy. I know eactly what to expect. Silly and funny characters.
When I read shounen harem romance stories with the focus on harem. I know exactly what to expect. Many girls trowing themselves at the maincharacter.
And so on, and so on...
And unlike some other people, I don't make myself false hopes that a sidecharachter that I like will end up with the protagonist. If it happenes, it's great. But I won't get butthurt if that doesn't happen.
Genres exist for a reason, just like cliches exist for a reason.

In my opinion a good example of a really good shounen romance story would be Shingetsutan Tsukihime, but it's still full of cliches.
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=511
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote