View Single Post
Old 2009-09-11, 10:34   Link #1
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Upcoming anime database (wiki)

So to repeat and elaborate on the title: I'm proposing to introduce a list of upcoming or rumored anime productions in form of a wiki (or any structure that supports the collaborative effort of volunteers).

The wiki would be targeted at the anime fan (otaku) community outside of Japan, especially those who can't read Japanese.

Our community is terribly disorganized in that respect. We lack something like an English-language moonphase. What we do have is a lot of effort done in parallel, that means it's often wasted. There are the big databases (anidb, ANN, animenfo, ...) that add anime erratically when a new season draws near. There is the fansub wiki. NeoSam produces his own list, and so does chartfag, based on NeoSam and all the above. And you can find lists on several blogs. I produce my own private list when I find the time (not every season) checking all the above again. And I'm probably not the only one.

The fansub wiki should especially be mentioned because it proves that the idea works. It mirrors Moonphase quite well and updates fast whenever new entries appear. It's close enough to what I'm thinking of so I'm taking it as a starting point to explain my idea in detail.
  • The main drawback of the fansub wiki is that it is limited in scope. I'm thinking of a listing for TV series, and OVAs new and ongoing, and movies, and what else there is (web only). And also anime with a starting date a year into the future, or still vague, and even mere rumors if you want to (as long as they are flagged as such). Basically, when moonphase has it, we should have it too (as long as it's not provable wrong, of course). If we can do even better, great.
  • The airing/release date must be there of course. Since this list should deliver general information about what's upcoming to people who do not have Japanese TV, we would not really need the TV station(s) though or even the exact airing time.
  • We can't visit Japanese cinemas either so for movies, the date of the DVD release would be a welcome addition.
  • The links to the official pages should be there. If they don't exist yet, then a link to other sources.
  • The studio should be mentioned. Further information (director, zomg Hirano Aya, and the like) belongs in the threads, though.
  • What we should not do is adding information about fansubs because then we'll run into the same problems we already ahve with the torrent list. I especially don't want to see entires like "Funimation" as if they are the solution to the world's problems.
  • What might be useful is adding a little synopsis of roughly the length of chartfag's texts. This might be a trigger for edit wars though.
  • Most importantly, the list should contain links to the relevant threads on animesuki. That is, the anime thread itself or otherwise (or: and also) that of the prequel, the manga or even a post in the upcoming anime thread.
  • And while we're at it, one could also think of linking to the entries at anidb, ANN, and so on.

So what would be the benefits to have such a wiki. For the community as a whole and for animesuki in particular.
  • First of all, and that point should be understood by now, something like that doesn't seem to exist. If working properly, it would at least facilitate the work of NeoSam and Chartfag, whoever else constructs such lists in his or her cellar (like myself) or is at least interested in a one stop resource for whatever is in the making in anime-land.
  • Linking to the relevant threads would reduce the danger of doubles and allow every member to find additional information in English quickly and early.
  • It would also make the task of updating the alphabetical list of anime discussion threads much easier. Maybe this could even be automatized somehow.
  • The traditional "Your expectations" and "Anime review" thread openers would be short, all-encompassing and self-updating by simply linking to the season's wiki page/section.

The wiki should be editable by forum members only. If that's not enough to fight off trolls and bots, restrict it further based on rep points, number of posts or join date. Or any combination thereof. Invitation by the powers that be should always be possible of course.

So, that's my proposal. Criticism?