View Single Post
Old 2009-09-19, 09:00   Link #11
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I think by limiting its edit-ability to just forum members, you run the risk of limiting its usefulness. The crux of edits and updates are inevitably going to be made by a small group of committed users, just as is the case at ANN (from what I gather). If those people start dropping off, and there isn't a steady supply of new ultra-committed editors to replace them, the thing might stagnate and become completely obsolete and irrelevant and too much of a pain to bring up to speed again. If there's one thing you can rely on, it's the laziness of people. If it's just little things, I don't think you should actively put up barriers to prevent people from tweaking the lists.

My suggestion would be to give non-members permission to make minor edits. If they're committed enough to make major changes to the wiki, then they're committed enough to register... but you probably have to assume that most people aren't. With that said, I'm not familiar enough with wiki editing to know how this is done (or even if it's possible). If you're worried about graffiti, I'm sure the wiki software should give you more than enough power to ban troublemakers and undo their graffiti without too much effort. A "report" button would probably be a good idea as well. Wiki graffiti-ists tend to be anything but subtle.
I don't know if there is any wiki software that discriminates between minor and major edits the way you have in mind. Also keep in mind that the fansubwiki has a login system and it works. And that login system was introduced only a while ago after destructive edits took overhand IIRC.

There is nothing more demotivating than having to invest work just to maintain/restore the status quo. At least IMHO. And banning anon is futile in the age of dynamic IPs.

Now, to formulate the counter arguments by myself: I don't know if fansubwiki is really popular enough to run "on its own". For all i know it might work like subbing groups dropping their names + one man doing 90 percent of everything else. Also, inviting fansub groups to edit in particular also means - let's face it - inviting a lot of trolls and e-drama, be it from group members themselves or their fan- and hateboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I think this is a good idea, although I'm not 100% sure how you would like to implement it. For example, do you want a sheet like the Fansub Wiki, or should visitors click to series specific pages for further information? Stuffing to much info into one sheet probably is not a good idea.
The minimal (and preferred) solution is something like fansubwiki with the modifications I listed. Mainly to make the existence of an anime known, the starting date, and links to further information. All that fits well on a single page. Older entries can be moved to archive pages, one per year or one per season. Now, this "further inormation" can of course include wiki pages with an in depth description. What i don't know is if there are enough volunteers to maintain this and how to prevent edit wars.

Quote:
How about something like the Season Preview posts seen on Random Curiosity? The advantage of doing such "posts" ourselves would be that we don't need to rely on one person to create such overviews, plus we can add the AnimeSuki connection you mentioned. The descriptions would need to contain less bias of course.
I read those season previews with glee because they are terribly opinionated. Of course it is nice to see a neutral description. But why not putting it directly into the wikipedia? I also see the danger that the discussion page will be filled with contributions that should better go into the forum.

Quote:
Btw, It would be no problem hosting this. I can have MediaWiki (or any other Wiki software) installed in no-time. Customizing that software however, may be a bit more tricky as far as the forum tie-ins are concerned (logins etc).

Should this new wiki be on it's own domain (which I'd be willing to fund) or something like wiki.animesuki.com?
Quote:
While I haven't looked at the code yet, I don't think it should be that hard to:
- Disable any form of anonymous login or normal (direct-on-wiki) registration
- Make a special page that allows wiki "registration" using your forum login
- Hijack login system to check forum db for password, not wiki db
- Run a script so that various things remain in sync (ie: if user is banned on forum; ban him on wiki)
I thought unifying the login procedure for an otherwise independent wiki would be harder to do or at least require some ugly hax. Nice to see it's not the case. I see no need for an extra domain.

Quote:
AnimeSuki v3, which I was working on but lately I haven't made to much progress on, ...
To speak for myself, I'm mainly interested in such a portal page. With upcoming anime, that is. I'm indifferent towards anything tied to torrents, because at the point when they are out, anidb in general already has all the information I want, or links to it. I do not want to see any licensing information on that page, or anything that separates anime fans in those who are allowed to sit in the front of the anime bus or not. And bluntly speaking, as somebody who sits in the back of the bus I wouldn't make an contribution to such a page. (Not that a wiki that depends on what a single user does or not wouldn't be a failure anyway.)