View Single Post
Old 2013-04-03, 11:21   Link #642
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The Taiwan situation is different. Culturally we are closer to Japan than China, and when Chiang came he made a mess of the place. Generation of brainwashing couldn't make us hate Japan, and that's where the our loyalties lie today. Taiwan is scared of China, there is no brotherly love there.
I'm not sure you can speak for all of the Taiwanese with those statements, but mainly I was thinking from the perspective of China as well. I remember the DPP was in power just recently until January 2012, although the KMT is back in power now.

Polls do indicate the preference for Taiwanese to stay independent beyond the "One country two systems" policies of HK and Macau, but "identity" wise many Taiwanese still view themselves as both "Taiwanese" and ethnically "Chinese" .. so it's not so simple. People still have relatives in both countries as well.

Hey Archmage, no need to be snarky, he's talking from his own personal perspective -- and admittedly China is very aggressive about anything related to sovereignty and territorial issues with respect to Taiwan. External allegations of support or otherwise.