View Single Post
Old 2016-07-30, 18:53   Link #451
marvelB

Hey, guys! This isn't exactly SBS-related, but I thought would make for a neat thing to post, anyway! Oda's had a few interviews recently, I believe for the main purpose of promoting Film Gold. Nonetheless, they contain some very interesting info (though some of it may come across as a bit worrying, admittedly....). Credit goes to AP's Sandman for the summaries!

First up, it's Oda's interview from the One Piece Great Newspaper Vol. 2 (spoiler tagged for length)

Spoiler for summary 1:

Next up is a summary of some other recent interviews (again, spoiler tagged for length):

Spoiler for summary 2:

Next up, Oda confirms that he knows exactly he's going to draw in the final panel of the series:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...ill-be/.104694

And lastly, some more bits of trivia (some of this is already somewhat common knowledge, but for those who missed it, here ya go):

Quote:
- ONE PIECE was inspired by the anime "Vicky the Viking" Oda watched in his childhood. He likes especially the scene in which the protagonist kid says "I'm going to set out to sea with my father!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_the_Viking

- Oda made a resolution to draw Pirate Manga when he was in junior high school.

- An editor taught Oda about how to draw a good manga when Oda was 17 years old.

- When Oda started ONE PIECE, he was going to finish it in 5 years.

According to another interview, his plan was like,
All crewmates join before Grand Line. (1- 1.5 year)
Great adventure (3 years)
Final arc (1 year)"

source: Sound Recording (2012)

- Oda doesn't know for sure why ONE PIECE has become so popular. He goes so far as to call it a "miracle". He thinks Strong World in 2009 might have been the turning point.

- One of his main target audience is Oda himself when he was a boy (around 15 years old).

Once again, credit goes to Sandman for most of that info! Yes, those bits about Oda's health are concerning, but at least he's still truckin'. Otherwise, lots of interesting info there, particularly stuff like Oda himself not knowing how Kaidou will be dealt with, or the CP0 stuff (so Lucci is a commander, and Spandam is still as power-hungry as ever.....). I also like that we got more info on Chaton and Momousagi. Sounds like Oda made those characters canon after all, which is great in my book! Lastly, depending on the source, the series is somewhere between 65% to 70% completed... though I can still see the series taking another decade before ending (and hopefully with Oda in better health...).
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote