View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 14:53   Link #96
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think that it has more to do with people posting about things they're familiar with. Animation and art direction require specialized tools to analyze, and most people just aren't going to be familiar with them. Usually, you'll just get a few comments about whether the animation looked good or bad, and that's it. Writing, or more accurately, dialogue and plot are much easier to parse so that's mostly what gets discussed. It's a pervasive pattern in English-language anime fandom.
I am going to add another reason (at least in terms of message boards more so than blogs). When you are discussing characters, plot, and theme there is just a whole lot more to discuss and debate.

Triple R and Myself can go back and forth on what we feel about Yakomaru's motives in Shin Sekai Yori but while it is very interesting we might not go back and forth on what the director was trying to convey in this scene using the visuals.

That is not to say one is more interesting or important than the other, just one leads to more back and forth discussion.

That being said I think my example is bad one because depending on what it is what imagery is trying to tell us can create a very interesting back and forth discussion, especially if it something more abstract (like Ikuhara's works).