View Single Post
Old 2009-10-07, 15:02   Link #126
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
I was under the impression that she was merely providing the overall layout of the plot and characters, while the mangaka, Fuyukawa Motoi, was the one who would actually set the atmosphere and draw the actions and expressions. Why do I assume that Railgun's IB is broken? Because I have not yet found any [translated] novel text that agrees with its exploits in the Railgun manga.
Kazuma Kamachi is noted as the author of the Railgun manga, while Motoi Fuyukawa is noted as the illustrator. If Motoi was responsible for writing much of the story, he would be in a co-author position at the very least I'd say.

Quote:
This is where you seem to be confused. This "recoil" force felt by the wielder actually comes from the original [recoil] force caused by the rails pushing on the support material (which happen to be the breech in traditional railguns) in a direction opposite that of the projectile's. Now, how is Mikoto's railgun set up?
  • The projectile is the coin, obviously. As it is made of conductive material, then it also serves as the armature.
  • She is the power source.
  • The rails are not really rails. Instead, she summons two (four even) parallel electrical currents going in opposite directions.
  • Somehow she is able to control these currents perfectly such that they are traveling along the same length and are able to stay on their initial positions. No wonder she's a Level 5 -- if maintaining such conditions are easy enough, then we would be seeing at least Level 3 electromasters shooting high-velocity railguns.
Now, what happens when the circuit is closed (when the coin is tossed into the system)? The Lorentz force created by the current accelerates the armature away from the power supply. In traditional rail guns, the recoil effect is in the form of the rails pushing at the breech, as said above. Here, the resulting recoil force accelerates air occupying the area where the current is flowing (which is accounted for in all illustrations so far), causing a gust of wind flowing towards Mikoto (and continuing behind her, etc.). Reasons why this is not dangerous to her (as someone who has complete control over the system) should be obvious.
Hmm, I see, yes I did seem to be confused there, thanks for pointing that out. A question, though. Shouldn't the casual flick of the fingers she uses to launch the coin still be very dangerous? Not to mention the air pressure created by the coin is enough to tear apart concrete.

Quote:
Not really familiar with Warhammer. I'm more familiar with WoW spacegoats and Goblin/Gnome engineering though (I believe you're familiar with these too ).
Yes I am. Orkish engineering works a tad differently though. Most of the time they just bang sheets of metal together, and somehow get things to work. Meanhwile, if some other race picks up such an Orkish device, they can't get it to work no matter what they try.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote