View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 02:04   Link #77
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, drama and comedy isn't something that is mutually exclusive. I think regardless of the show's bent, it should be able to excecute a funny scene as well as a dramatic scene. In many cases, Angel Beats and Hana Saku Iroha have/had this half-ass approach which makes both sides weaker, though Hana Saku iroha is managing it better-- Angel Beats is almost 13 different shows in 13 episodes.

For example, Evangelion for the most part is considered a serious show by many people. But it also had comedic parts that were hilarious and could have been part of any sitcom. And they were no small parts-- there was entire episodes of this. But it never really compromised its own narrative, and you could still laugh while taking the characters seriously.

Or how about Haruhi Suzumiya? Most of the series is comedy and not to be taken seriously. But the serious moments that do happen still are effective and it doesn't feel like you're watching a diffrent show.

That is what I feel is the identity crises problem. I shouldn't feel like I'm watching a different show. It's not because I can't stand fanservice. It's not because I don't like comedy. It's not because I don't like random humor. But it has to mesh well. Otherwise, how is it different from the many coming of age/slice of life shows out there? Now I'm not saying the show must aspire to be exceptional, but then again shouldn't we aim a bit higher?

Just look over at Ano Hana for mixing comedy with drama.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews