View Single Post
Old 2008-11-13, 00:14   Link #56
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Terroists somehow developing a termo nuclear bomb by obtaining raw ingredients is complete rubbish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Realistically speaking, will a terrorist have the sophostication and resources necessary to actually do something with it?

We always hear about how a terrorist might get control of these things as though it's a valid concern, but I'm skeptical. I'm not a physicist so I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure it isn't as easy as uranium + webpage on how to make a bomb = nuclear bomb. We often hear about fears of bioterrorism, which is something I think would be much easier to make a reality, but when is the last time you heard of a successful bioterrorist attack? Occasionally you hear about how anthrax is mailed to people, but that's pretty rare, half the time it seems to be a hoax, and the other half the time it isn't from a "traditional terrorist" but from some scientist who cracked.

Which isn't to say that it will never happen, but in reality the chances seem to be pretty slim. Are we to cut back progress and development simply because there's a chance that something bad might happen?
I don't think the concerns are rubbish, they hold some truth though they are often overplayed. Terrorists today may not hold the capabilities to launch one of these bombs, but who is to say that terrorists a couple decades later are not going to be capable? Are we going to fool around with opening the possibility even further?

Granted these countries cannot stay like this forever, but the countries like Iran and North Korea have not expressed that nuclear energy is their priority in bringing this technology to their countries, but rather the bomb. Unless you have nothing against them having the bomb, but I personally would like to keep any further countries from obtaining such weapons as long as possible. Though it may be inevitable that they manage to obtain such weapons, we can improve our technologies in defending against such attacks with more time perhaps.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote