View Single Post
Old 2009-03-19, 00:15   Link #133
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They're the animation production studio, but not always among the show's producers. And they're not always the one that do the series planning either -- for example, on a show like ZnT that they're often blamed for, Genco is specifically credited with production. So, basically, that's why I'm saying it's not that simple. They get blamed even when they don't do that part of the job.
I was going to bring up Genco as they do a lot of work with JC Staff. But since I don't know exactly how much the producing group has to do with the directing and writing (I separate production from directing and writing because I view it as more of the technical and business side of things. Incorrect?), I didn't know if I should blame them too. If you say they have a lot to do with it, then I'll drag them along as well from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But the animation production company is not the top of the totem pole here. The production committee is. That's why they're the last name in the credits, because they're the ones ultimately funding the project and responsible for everything. Sometimes the animation production company is in the production committee, but sometimes they're just a contractor doing the job they're being paid to do. It's just convenient to blame them because they're the easiest name to remember.

Anyway... it's not that I'm really trying to single you out in particular, it's just that this argument comes up all the time, and it never really makes much sense when you dig deeper into the facts, that's all. Call it a pet peeve, I guess.
I know how the system works for the most part and in the cases were JC Staff is charged with solely animation and I still blame them, then I'll apologize to it in those cases. But these production committees come and go, and the only thing that remains fixed is JC Staff (and Genco). If there was a bad production infrequently here and there, then we could look outside of JC Staff for who to blame. But when we have consistent problems, then regardless of whether they are tasked with anything above animation, they can take blame for their poor business decisions. If all they care about is getting paid, then they shouldn't care about how the image of their studio is viewed. (Which may very well be the case.)