View Single Post
Old 2006-08-24, 23:44   Link #47
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichan
Ho~ Interesting news. My boyfriend (and I *cough*) will be happy.

I tried this out awhile back when it was free. I loved it, but didn't get very far because I had no idea what I was doing. Still, the design and overall cuteness factor still tugs at my whiny "I wanna plaaaay" strings.
I was around in ECO long enough to last until Saga 2, the feared implementation of the P2P system. Back then, the highest level was 40, which later got raised to 50. I had a level 38 character when the highest level was 40, then deleted her.

You got that right. The game has everything I want in an RPG - customizable character options such as face, clothing, hair, even weapons. They all have different looks and it makes for great variety in a character, even if everyone goes for the same armor and weapons. Though armors and weapons do have durability, so you have to watch out: if the item's durability gets worn out, the item breaks and you have to get it repaired. At least, that's what happens now in Saga 2 onwards; before in Saga 1, items would just vanish. XD Man did I burn through a lot of Long Spears.

The emoticons were also fun to play around with. They would actually make your character move and act out: made some great and hilarious moments for RPing, or AFKing. Seeing a Swordmaster in full Swordmaster suit (meaning he/she had to be around 35, which was pretty high back then) AFK while in /orz while having a text sign above his head was so hilarious.

Plus, the world is also vast. Travelling through the various areas makes for great RPing, and some of the fields even suit their nature. In the implementation of Saga 1, the snowfields around the Northern Promenade would take away 5 HP per second due to the freezing cold! The bonfire skill would allow one to recover 5 HP per second to counter this effect, and it was just plain awesome seeing several characters lounging around a bonfire in the middle of a snow field. I hear that with Saga 4, many more fields have been added, and the camera angles are even able to provide more cinematic perspectives.

Let's see...I went through several characters in this game. First I had Ailysse, a Fencer who specialized in Spear Mastery. Then I went with Alkenshel, a Swordmaster using Two Handed Swords until I got tired of them. Then I created Katarina, a Scout who used Daggers, and Kirisawa, my Merchant. In another account I had an Archer, Vates (the healer class), and a Shaman, Mizuna. Three accounts per character, and I had to have a friend help me level my own characters, lol. XD

The "hyoui" system in this game is great. It allows you to endow your character onto any piece of equipment such as shields, weapons, and armor, and allows any other character to pick up that equipment you are currently possessing. It not only allows you to gain experience while that person fights with your equipment, but also has the advantage of possessed equipments not having any reduction in durability as they are used. It also allows the character in possession of the equipment to assist the character using his equipment through his skills.

Plus, the greatest experience during the whole thing was how the whole Japanese community was just so fun to be with. Chinese farmers aside, the whole player community was so nice to be with, and some were very friendly to the English-speaking players. The game designers also held several many fun events resulting in exp and great items, and it was also wonderful when they remodelled Acropolis City during the Halloween event, and gave us all floating brooms as a quest reward.

...Don't mind my ramblings, I'm just reminiscing about my time in ECO.