Thread: Licensed X-Men (Madhouse)
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-02, 20:27   Link #20
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
That actually makes more sense I guess the people that grew up with 80's , 90's anime are the ones you're referring to. I wonder when the otaku took over. Was it early 2000 (around 2000-2002). Before there was hardly any moe and fanservice. Not as much as nowadays anime anyway. When did the target audience change from non-otaku to otaku? I cannot stand the amount of fanservice shows. I'm open for any genre, but the abundant fanservice and moe makes them really hard to watch.
I wonder what non-JP's fans standpoint on this is? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. If you compare the sales from Japan alone to worldwide, I bet Japan still sells more.
Otaku never took over, they always were the main audience for the kind of anime we are talking about here. Late night anime is simply an evolution from the OVA market in the 80's and 90's, neither the target audience nor the business model has changed much, the same is true about the amount of fanservice for that matter.

Anime aimed at an adult audience, with some notable exceptions, were never mainstream. On the other hand, there were more shows for kids and teenagers because up until the late 90's these anime had great ratings.

About what non-Japanese like, well Infinite Stratos is the first or second most downloaded anime this season, make of that what you will.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote